Your Care Record

There are 2 ways that your electronic care record is shared with other NHS organisation in support of providing you with safe care:

1. The Summary Care Record

There is a new Central NHS Computer System called the Summary Care Record (SCR). It is an electronic record which contains information about the medicines you take, allergies you suffer from and any bad reactions to medicines you have had.


Why do I need a Summary Care Record?

Storing information in one place makes it easier for healthcare staff to treat you in an emergency, or when your GP practice is closed.

This information could make a difference to how a doctor decides to care for you, for example which medicines they choose to prescribe for you.

Who can see it?

Only healthcare staff involved in your care can see your Summary Care Record. 


How do I know if I have one?

Over half of the population of England now have a Summary Care Record. You can find out whether Summary Care Records have come to your area by looking at our interactive map or by asking your GP

Do I have to have one?

No, it is not compulsory. If you choose to opt out of the scheme, then you will need to complete a form and bring it along to the surgery. You can use the form at the foot of this page.

More Information

For further information visit the NHS Care records website

Subscribe to the newsletterDownload the opt out form >>>>

2. My Care Record

My Care Record is a system that allows medical and social care professionals to access your up-to-date GP records so they can make the right choices about the care and medical attention you need. We already share records but often via less secure and less efficient routes such as telephone and fax.

For instance, hospital based staff will be able to access previous diagnoses, allergies, problems, medications you are already on and any tests you have already undergone.

Please see the Buckinghamshire CCG website for more details which also contains a link to an opt-out form, which should be completed and sent to:

The Information Team
The Swan Practice
Masonic House
26 High Street
MK18 1NU

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website